Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I love salsa

I love when summer rolls around and the tomatoes turn red allowing me to make salsa. After getting a great recipe last year from Becca's mom, Ive been making about a batch a week during the season. This weekend, I attempted to break out of my traditional red salsa recipe and try something new. After hearing of Alison's success using my tomatillos, I tried a batch of green salsa. I can't believe how well it turned out since it was my first go at it. I will have to post my recipe I made up at another time.
In addition to a red and green salsa, I've been itching to make a mango salsa. I have tasted many mango salsa's at restaurants the past few years with fish tacos, ahi tuna and the like. Now it was my turn to try my hand at making such a salsa. I searched the internet and found a recipe I felt matched the really good mango salsa's I've tasted lately. Here is a pictre of the final product. Looks good doesnt it? Not only is the salsa really tasty but also has a very nice look to it with all the colors together.

Based on the time this bowl lasted while having friends over for appetizers before dinner, it's a hit with all. Mango Salsa
1 cup diced mango

1 cup chopped tomatoes (seeds removed)

1 finely chopped jalapeno (seeds and veins removed)

1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro

1/2 cup finely chopped red onion

1 clove garlic finely chopped

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

This recipe is really easy, takes about 15 minutes to make. You can experiement to see what ingredient you might increase/decrease. The recipe I found said to refreigerate overnight to allow flavors to meld. I personally like it just after making as each bite seems to highlight a different strong flavor.



2 comments:

Angi Williamson said...

Matt all 3 salsa's were frickin' awesome. Please invite us over again. This time I get to sit right in front of the mango dish!!!

SLC Gardener said...

Thanks Angi but I beleive it's your turn to make salsa and have us over.