Friday, January 16, 2009

Knee vs Frozen Snow Bank

I always worried about having a wreck on my bike due to ice but didn't think it would happen on my ride this morning. After all, the roads are pretty clear minus a few banks of snow left in the bike lane from the plows. I was riding along 17th south this morning, had just gone through the main street intersection when Bam, I was in the ice. The ice had melted from the bike lane for the most part but not at 17th and main. I wasn't confident that no cars were on my left so my only option was to ditch my bike and jump for the snow bank since I knew I was going down. The first thing to hit the frozen mass of ice was my knee. It felt like taking a good hit to the knee with a ball peen hammer but nothing felt broken or damaged. I got back on my bike and continued the rest of my ride with the pain going away after a few miles.
Each time I was stopped at a light, I was checking my knee to see if the skin was broken. It didn't look so bad with a tiny hole ripped in my pants and a little blood.But by the time I got to work it had bled more than I thought. My pants were soaked with blood due to the piercing effect of the ice. Other than the swelling, it looks much better after a shower to clean it up.

Now I'm debating whether I can ride home or if I take the train.


5 comments:

Mat and Kristin said...

EEK! I think you should just take the train home. It looks like it hurts.

SandGs Mom said...

pain or no pain, you're not riding when it's icy out. Too close.

Anonymous said...

Nice tights sissy pants!

Anonymous said...

What are you thinking, riding your bike to work on ice! Didn't your mother teach you better?

youarenotscottpeters said...

I couldn't agree more with Anonymous. Nice sissy pants. At least they look a little more bad ass with the blood and rips.