Thursday, May 21, 2009

F'd Up

I dislike the title of this blog but can't find any words to better describe my day yesterday. My day was great for the most part, I did my bike commute which always makes me happy. I made a stop by my good friend Toby's house on the way home. For my five readers who havent heard the story, Toby injured both feet/legs in a dirt bike accident last Friday in Moab. This leaves Toby with very limited mobility, pain and a long road to recovery. I hate to see anyone in such a predicament, especially after having gone through Sarah breaking one foot. So I tried my best to cheer Toby up and offer any help I could. I continued on home to two smiling kids and a happy wife, but couldnt stop feeling bad for Toby.



Upon finishing dinner and the dishes, we decided to head out for a walk to the Artic Circle for ice cream. We were walking back home after finishing our ice cream when our family became witness to a horrible accident. Sarah was heading out for a run while the kids and I headed back home to begin the bedtime routine. Moments after Sarah and I separated, I was crossing the crosswalk when I heard the motorcycle tires begin screeching. I turned around to see a truck 15 feet away making a turn in front of a motorcyclist going 35 mph. There was no time for the motorcyclist to stop as he skidded 10 feet before laying his bike down and going under the front of the small pickup truck. I still can't understand why but the driver of the truck continued driving as the man was pinned under his truck. By far the most gruesome thing I have ever seen was the poor man flailing under the front axle as the truck dragged him 30 feet. I began yelling at the top of my lungs to stop and thank god Sarah was on the other side of the road. She saw what happened and literally got in the drivers face to make him stop. All the yelling drew neighbors from all corners who converged on the unreal scene. I was trying to keep the kids from seeing what was going on while calling 911 and Sarah tried to comfort the two men involved. It wasn't two minutes later there were ten men lifting the little white truck and rolling it away from the motorcyclist. The motorcyclist was still alive, breathing but badly mangled.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-motorcyclist-critically-hurt-midvale,0,939889.story



Needless to say, it wasnt easy going to bed last night. I cried myself to sleep thinking how we must enjoy everyday that we are able to live a healthy life. I hope to never witness anything like this again as I struggle to understand why the chain of events occurred. I just thank god that our family wasnt injured in the accident and hope the motorcyclist makes a speedy recovery.

4 comments:

Mat and Kristin said...

I still can't believe this. I read about it on Sarah's blog earlier. You all were so lucky and I just can't imagine being so close to an accident like that.

Trevor said...

Damn!! Tenneal told me I should read your blog Matt, but I was still caught off guard. I didn't think it could get any worse after I read what happened to tobe. Thanks for sharing and stay alert on your bike commute. Please give toby a hug and chest punch from me. - trev

Brandi said...

OMG!! Have you heard anything else about his condition? Please stay safe. I know you all walk/bike/run a lot. People just don't pay attention. Stay safe!

KlausSchwalbe said...

Word Matt. oops, the letter, I mean. I definately felt PTSD when reading that one. Thanks for all your help on the yard and coming by. Good peeps like you have helped my insanity from setting in. I feel quite fornuate to not have encountered a moving vehicle, only a still canyon. Congrats on making it to my new blog list... Toby