Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Work road trip

Last week I took a road trip for work, driving from Kemmerer Wyoming to Durango Colorado with numerous stops along the way. The route involves driving endless hours on rural highways with many great views. The drive also includes some great mountain biking trails along the way, allowing me to get my excercise while trying new trails. I had planned to ride in Vernal Tuesday afternoon, but the weather had different plans. The picture below is an area near Flaming Gorge reservoir with interesting geology (rock nerds take note).

Lucky for me, the clouds weren't as ominous once I reached the trailhead in Vernal. I managed a quick 30 minute ride in light rain then called it quits before I got hosed.


Wednesday was filled with plans of riding singetrack in Fruita Colorado. Supposedly the new mountain biking mecca, Fruita has lots of areas with varied terrain to ride. I rode an area called road 18, lots of trail loops, the few I tried were good. Someday I will return to sample the rest of the trails.Thursday's plan was to get work wrapped up, then squeeze a ride in on the drive back to Moab. I rode a favorite of mine, Phil's world, near Cortez Colorado. I think this trail beats any out there with nice flowy singletrack consisting of berms, jumps, a few technical sections and very little climbing.


I returned home to find the garden thriving with all the rain we've had in Salt Lake lately. Thanks to the cool temps, brocolli harvest continues. And my first zucchini harvest of the 09 season last night.

Here is a picture of the lamest 3 wheeler I've seen yet. The guy driving this claimed he use to be a Harley rider but switched to this because his wife didn't like the noise. Seems to me he made the wrong choice in what to let go.

No comments: